Thursday, July 23, 2009

The ever-evolving Theme Song

It’s interesting how much music is such a part of the American culture. Since day one I had been thinking about a particular song that that might serve as a theme song of sorts for me on this trip. It’s evolved over the course of 40 days several times.

Before we even left I posted John Legend’s Green Light on my blog. I liked it because the chorus was about wanting the green light and being ready to go, and while we were still at school that was my thinking: I was “ready to right now”. It made sense in my mind for a brief period. However, the fact of the matter is that song is referring to courting a woman, and while I could be ultra artistic and say that the woman in the song represents America for me that is not true. It didn’t really fit my journey.

Once we were finally on the road I noticed that a particular song kept playing on the radio. It was “Boom Boom Pow,” by the Black Eyed Peas. Whenever time this song came on while we were driving Chris, Rashina, and I would get so excited. And by excited I mean that we would bounce and dance so much that our van would shake. If there were days when our group was separated into two vans and the three of us weren’t together, we would call the missing person and tell them “our song” was on 98.5 of 160.3 or whatever radio station it was. Those were such great moments because no matter what the previous situation, that song would evoke such joy out of us. It was almost a routine. As soon as the song would come on everyone in the van knew what to expect. And after a while it became infectious; so much so that I caught Dr. Stepnick singing “I’m so three thousand and eight, you so two thousand and late” once or twice. However, as much as I loved this song, I felt there was more to be said about what the trip meant for me, and that’s when a Gnarls Barkley song came to mind.

As we left our bus (aptly known as Big Mama) broken down on the side of the road in Florida, our “rescue bus” was filled with mixed emotions. I myself had mixed emotions but rather than acknowledge them, I decided to retreat to my music. The first song that I came across was “Going On” by Gnarls Barkley which is composed of upbeat psychedelic music coupled with the following lyrics:

I’ve seen it with my own eyes-How we’re gettin’ otherwise -Without the luxury of leavin’ -The touch and feeling of free is -Untangible technically -Something you’ve got to believe in-Connect the cause and effect -One foot in front of the next -This is the start of a journey. -And my mind is already gone -And though there are other unknowns- Somehow this doesn’t concern me.

And you can stand right there if you want- But I’m going on- And I’m prepared to go it alone- I’m going on- To a place in the sun that’s nice and warm- I’m going on

And I’m sure they’ll have a place for you too oohoohoo

Anyone that needs what they want, and doesn’t want what they need -I want nothing to do with -And to do what I want -And to do what I please -Is first of my to-do list- But every once in a while I think about her smile-One of the few things I do miss -But baby I‘ve to go -Baby I’ve got to know-Baby I’ve got to prove it

And I’ll see you when you get there-But I’m going on-And I’m prepared to go it alone-I’m going on- May my love lift you up to the place you belong-I’m going on- And I promise I’ll be waiting for you oohoohoo

As I listened to the song, I couldn’t help but think how fitting it was that “Going On” would play as I was left the bus, headed for Nashville, because it was one of the first songs that I listened to my first night on “Big Mama.” It was an interesting moment of coming full circle. Then as I began to listen to the lyrics more I began to realize how much they spoke to this trip for me. The song is about moving on, which is what this trip essentially was about. I began to think about how much “moving” had been taking place: moving on to new experiences and new things everyday, literally moving on to a new place everyday, learning more about the American culture, letting go of fears and misconceptions, and also letting go of the familiar. This trip has been such a leap of faith, and that’s what the speaker is talking about is when they refer to “the other unknowns.” I had no clue of what to expect, but I knew that I had to move on. And for the most part, I have done it alone. Granted I’ve been with eleven other people for forty days, the truth is that each of us has been on our own personal journeys for the past forty days. We each have different perspectives, even on our shared experiences. And we’re not done moving. We must still move on after these 40 days, because there are papers to write. And not only that, we all have lives to live. Some of us have graduations to move on to soon. Others have more school. Others more trips to take. We all have our separate paths. We all have to move on from each other to see what life has for us next. And maybe we will all reunite one day; there’s a chance, just like the hope of reunion that the speaker in the song mentions. The only way that we’ll know is to put one foot in front of the next to see where life takes us. So I’m going on.

No comments: